Shelters/Animal Control facilities
Area wide (dogs & cats)
Dog Breed Rescue
Guinea Pig Rescue
Shelters outside of DC metro area
Low cost medicine
Natural Pet Care
Swim & Rehab Centers
Pet friendly places
Fun things to do with your dog
Kennels & Daycare
Pet Supply Stores
Special Needs Pets
Yellow Pages: Fun
Things to Do With Your Dog!
part of bonding with your dog is having fun -- and there are more
fun activities you can do with your dog in this area than you can
shake a stick at!
See the DogScouts
Troop Dog World site for all these activities, and more!
Giving back to the community
Boating with your dog
Using his/her nose
also: Dog Parks | Training | Events
Trailblazers - A dog hiking club located in the Baltimore/Washington
D.C. area, dedicated to encouraging responsible hiking with your
canine companion. They hold monthly, leashed hikes on dog-friendly
trails in the area. Recommended
by MetroPets member!
Dancing with Dogs (Canine Freestyle)
- The Bark Ball Washington Humane Society
- The Hot Dog Round Up
- Outdoor BBQ with
live music, K9 games, activities for kids, etc. Held at a horse
farm in MD.
- Pet Fiesta - Reston, VA. (every May)
- Home for the Holidays - Reston, VA (every oct/nov) - multi-group
adoption event organised by gooddogz.org
- Canine Games - Alexandria, VA, (every September). Dogs compete
in events (eg obstacle courses, fastest ice cream eater) for gold,
silver or bronze Canine Games medal. Organised by the Animal
Welfare League of Alexandria.
- Canine Country Jamboree - Leesburg, VA. (Every
22025 Evergreen Mills Road
- Annapolis Active Dogs Meetup - Contact them via the
website or email@example.com
TUESDAY AND THURSDAY, 5-8 pm: Doggie
Inn Select Old Town 480 King St. Alexandria, VA
- Every Friday: 4-8 pm: Doggie Happy Hour
Adams Mill Bar and Grill. Miller Lite, Pilsner Urquel & Barcardi
specials until 8 p.m. (dogs on covered patio only) Sponsored by Doggie Style Bakery and the Washington Animal Rescue League (WARL), a portion of
food and beverage sales donated to WARL 1813 Adams Mill Road (at the
corner of 18th Street and Columbia Road)
Wednesday: 6-8 pm: Yappy
Hydrant Dog Barkery, St. Elmo's Coffee Pub,
2300 Mt. Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA.
- The DC Doggie Happy Hour Group on meetup.com
back to the community
with your dog
Here are some businesses
that can help you get outfitted for a fun and safe outing on the water
with your dog:
(800-937-2628, www.boatus.com), with stores in Alexandria
(880 S. Pickett St., 703-461-2850), Annapolis (163A Jennifer Rd.,
410-573-5744), Glen Burnie (6651-20 Ritchie Highway, 410-761-5901)
and Rockville (5250 Randolph Rd., 301-230-0945).
- West Marine
(800-BOATING, www.westmarine.com), with stores in
Alexandria (601 S. Patrick St., 703-549-7020), Woodbridge (13330
Gordon Blvd., 703-492-6225), Annapolis (113 Hillsdale Dr.,
410-268-0129) and Glen Burnie (105 Chesapeake Center Court,
Kayak, 1201 N. Royal St., Alexandria, 800-297-0066, www.atlantickayak.com.
- REI (800-426-4840,
www.rei.com), with stores at Bailey's
Crossroads (3509 Carlin Springs Rd., 703-379-9400) and College
Park (9801 Rhode Island Ave., 301-982-9681).
Using his/her nose
2284 Shamer Lane,
tel: 410 236 2788
Play Groups/Meet Ups
- The Washington DC Area Beagle Meetup Group
Meets Wednesday & Thursday evenings @ 8:00pm (unless other wise specified). Space is somewhat limited for
some events. Please call or email to indicate interest! A different canine FUN event is held each week to
promote different activities and learning opportunities!
- Smushnose Dogs Off-Leash Meetup: Pugs, Boston Terriers, & French Bulldogs
- Golden Retriever Off-Leash Meetup
- Northern Virginia Italian Greyhound Meetup Group
- Beagle Off-Leash Meetup
- Huge Dogs Meetup: Newfie, Great Pyranese, Berner, St. Bernard
- Border Collie, Australian Shepherd, Collie, and Shetland Sheepdog Off-Leash Meetup
- Corgi Meetup
- NoVA Cocker Spaniel, Clumber Spaniel, & Cocker Mixes
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Off-Leash Meetup
- Labrador Retriever Off-Leash Meetup
- Dachshund Off-Leash Meetup
- Whippet Off-Leash Meetup
- Potomac Riverboat Company
205 The Strand, Alexandria, VA
Offered in conjunction with the local Business Associations 2nd Thursday evening of entertainment, Potomac Riverboat Company offers this fun and unique cruise on the Second Thursday of the months of May, June, July, August and September.
All are invited, with or without a four legged friend. A howling experience for all! The dog rides free, but the human must pay for their ride.
Leesburg Canine Country Club
Have we missed
a fun dog activity? Please let us know!